Friday, March 12, 2010

Day Five

First time to my blog? Pleas scroll down and read the first entries...


I don't know if it has been the unusually bright sunny days we've had lately, or the better food I'm eating (I suspect a combination of both!), but I have felt great this week. I think having a purpose other than myself for this weight-loss effort has really made it much easier to commit to. I have often been in my life one of those people who "do" for others and neglect myself, and this is a situation where I am helping my own health, and helping a ministry at the same time. I am so honored to be able to do this for Monte Blanco. I am working on a post about the camp, and about the water slide project, and will update once that is ready. I want to tell you guys about the camp and the wonderful things that God is doing there.

Yesterday I discovered Thomas bagel thins. They are just like a bagel, but thin (duh) and only 110 calories with 5 grams of fiber each! For you Weight Watcher point people, that is right between the 1 and 2 point line! They are good, albeit a bit crunchier than normal bagels. I used neufschatel cheese on it instead of cream cheese, for a filling, yet healthy breakfast. Oh yeah, and I had half a grapefruit ($2.50 EACH!!!).

I've been thinking a lot lately about going more natural with my foods. I read an article the other day about the ingredients in foods that we feed our children, and was convicted with how much junk I've been letting my children put in their bodies. McD's nuggets have 25 different ingredients in them! Why?!?! I can make chicken nuggets here at home with probably 4 ingredients, max, and several of those would be spices. I've been talking to my mom about purchasing half a cow from a local farm this next year, and will be buying my chicken from a farm too. I also plan to talk to my friend about the farm coop that she has mentioned before. I imagine that the costs will be more, but I just can't see feeding myself and my family in the same way that we've been eating up to now. Anyone have good recipes for cereals and kid friendly snack items?

I am up to 25 sponsors. Thank you all so very much! I am praying that I can get a bunch more sponsors, but I want to tell you guys who have already signed up how grateful I am. I have the opportunity to present the fundraiser at my church on the 24th. Please be praying for people to be receptive to the idea!

1 comment:

  1. Let me know if you want some help with the whole "natural foods" thing. We order cases of pizza, yogurt, fruit snacks, and such from a local wholesale place once a month. It's alot cheaper than Buying everything from Wal*Mart or G.E., and they have really great stuff. We made the switch about two mnths ago, and, yes, it is more expensive. But, it's been totally worth it! We've seen a huge improvement in Hunter's ADHD, andI don't feel guilty about what my kids are eating. Let me know if you're interested!

    ReplyDelete